Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Healthier Bite of Bliss


Who doesn’t love the rich taste and moist, fluffy texture of a homemade cake? I certainly do! But cakes are difficult to make, and although they are one of my favorite desserts, they don’t usually come to mind when I am thinking “eat healthy.”

While browsing through online recipes, I came across an intriguing cake recipe at Baking Bites, Honey Cake with Lemon Glaze. Honey is good for you, right? Of course it is! Honey is the ultimate natural sweetener. I thought I would try this recipe out. After all, it would allow me to indulge in my selfish cake desires, and it’s a little healthier since honey is used instead of all that sugar. The ingredients looked normal, but I was still hesitant. I do enjoy baking but cakes really aren’t my forte.

Oh what the heck. I gave it a whirl. The cake was easy to make, and it only took 30 minutes to bake, which means I can clean up the kitchen when it’s in the oven. Yes! The baking cake filled my kitchen with the smell of sweet natural goodness. I definitely had an “ah” moment.

The glaze isn’t difficult either, and it smells fantastic. I don’t think there is a fresher smelling scent than lemon. The lemon zest in the glaze gives texture to the surface of the cake which increases the elegant look of the entire dessert.

I love the fact that I can tell myself this cake is healthy for me because it contains honey and lemon zest. It sweeps away any feelings of guilt I have about indulgence, but I also have to realize that everything should be eaten in moderation. Just because it is better for me does not mean that I can have a larger piece. However, I still find complete bliss in every bite!

No comments: