Saturday, September 22, 2007

Just a little longer...

I’ve just finished my first week with my personal trainer. Starting out this program, I thought seven weeks sounded like a very long time. Now, I’m wish I had longer. Getting into shape is hard work and I’ve got a long way to go; it’s nice to have someone there to encourage you and push you to do the work. If you are working on getting into shape on your own, however, I encourage you to set concrete goals for yourself. Saying you want to get into shape is a start, but setting goals like running a mile in 7 minutes or working out for an hour every single day forces you to be responsible for your own progress. Pushing your body to the limit may not sound like fun, but the feeling of accomplishment you get when you meet your goal is well worth the work. Not only should you set long term goals for yourself, but you should also push yourself even further and set small goals for yourself every time you work out. The other day during training, we held a pose to work our abs for a minute. It doesn’t sound like much, but after about twenty seconds you really start to feel the burn. We were allowed to drop the pose once for ten seconds if we needed to, but I set the goal for myself that I was going to hold it the full minute. Working out can sometimes be frustrating because the results do not show up immediately, but accomplishing small goals like that can make a workout much more rewarding.

1 comment:

DumbFun said...

For sure, i've been weight lifting several times a week since moving onto campus. My friends and i also go to the rec center a lot to swim and play walleyball and racquetball. Honestly i think it's fun, and it's actually said that some can get addicted to the feeling of satisfaction and adrenaline that working out releases. i dont think i can get addicted to the burn, but it's cool knowing i'm living a healthy life.
And also, goals are definately a good idea, I do crunches and push ups everyday, minus the last week because i've been sore for some reason.