Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Odyssey.. or is it just my life?


And so it begins… my epic journey to the ends of the earth. Well, actually it’s only seven weeks and I’m just going to the gym across the street. Tonight, however, I’m feeling a little like Odysseus. I’m staring down one of the greatest challenges of my life, and I’m still not sure if I can accomplish it. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle has always been a goal of mine. I look at runners and I admire their commitment; I study nutritionist and I crave the benefits of the latest health food craze. I’ve even tried a few diet and exercise plans on my own. In the end, however, it all comes down to this: I love the adrenaline rush after a good hard workout but I hate dragging my butt to the gym, I love chocolate and I hate vegetables. I’m a picky eater and I just plain hate running. But I’m at college now, and it’s time for a new start. So, to help me overcome this love hate relationship I have with the gym. I’ve hired a personal trainer. For the next seven weeks, I’ll be learning how to work out for my body. Hopefully, the results I see and feel will be enough to motivate me to “feel the burn.” I have a feeling I might need a little more encouragement than that, though, so I’ve convinced two of my friends to sign up with me. Monday night, we go to get our personal assessments and set our individual goals. I’m feeling excited and nervous all at the same time. It’s a life changing experience and goal I’m really looking forward to accomplishing.

1 comment:

huntingfever11 said...

First off, you are definitely not the only one that has trouble getting to the gym. I have to force myself to get up and go, but as soon as I get some blood flowing, I could spend all day in the gym. My senior year in high school I was in a class called elective P. E., which is basically just a weight lifting class or to some, a blow off class. At the beginning of the year I decided that I was going to challenge myself so I would be in good shape when I went to college. Just as you are setting goals, I had to do the same for this class. I made sure that I set my goals pretty high, almost where I thought it was impossible. Setting high goals made me push myself to my max and by the end of the year I was in the best shape ever and the most improved in the class. If you set high goals and work hard to reach them, then you will get amazing results.