Saturday, September 29, 2007

Motivation in a Friend


Going along with my last post about exercising early in the morning, I realized that it gets harder and harder to stay motivated to actually get up. Although I do love getting up in the morning, I just feel exhausted by the end of the week! I needed some serious motivation.


Luckily I have a friend, Mandi, who is as crazy as I am! She actually wanted to run with me in the morning. I was so exited to have someone to push me and challenge me in my workout.


We began running around campus earlier this week. What an exhilarating feeling to run in the cool brisk air in the early morning. It felt like I could just keep running and running! Then, 20 minutes into the run, I suddenly hit that point. You know that point where your legs begin to tighten and you start breathing a little harder. But my friend kept running. How did she do it?! Uh oh, it’s jello time, when your legs feel like jello sloshing around on pavement.

I didn’t think I was going to make it back to my dorm, but I didn’t want to be a loser. Seriously, here is Mandi running like a champion, and I’m dying! So I kept going, telling myself I could do it.

10 minutes later, I saw it. That beacon of light I had been waiting for, the destination that brought this run to its end. My dorm! We slowed up, and I could begin to feel my legs again.

I asked Mandi how far she thought we had run. She said about 2 ½ miles. Ok, so I know that’s really not a whole lot, but for me, that’s great! On the treadmill I had just worked up to running 1 ½ miles. I was so tired but so happy! I couldn’t believe the distance and that I was actually still standing after it all.

Thanks to my friend, I accomplished more that I thought I could. Now I definitely believe in working out with a friend! Not only does she keep me accountable in my workouts, but she pushes me and challenges me in everything I do. We even started lifting together! It’s so good to know that we can encourage each other and help each other accomplish our goals.

No comments: