Saturday, September 8, 2007

Heirloom Tomatoes: Beauty or Beast?


A first glance at this tomato and your brain screams “YUCK!” At least that’s what mind did when I saw it at the farmer’s market in my hometown. I had to ask myself what happened to that beautifully smooth, red, plump tomato I had grown so accustomed to see in my garden. Why this sudden invasion of a bumpy, uneven colored, and just plain ugly vegetable. Heirlooms can’t possible that great. Can they?

To curb my curiosity, I decided to break out of my comfort zone and buy a few. To tell you the truth, I couldn’t wait to get home and conduct a taste test! I’m sure glad I did too. The flavor was fantastic! I couldn’t believe that all these years, I had been missing out on a sweeter taste and a more meaty texture. I also discovered that heirlooms are not genetically modified, are grown organically, and are much tenderer than other tomatoes. They are also allowed to ripen on the vine which gives them a softer skin and packs them with vitamins and nutrients, even more so than their relatives! What a great low calorie summer treat that helps keep your body running on all cylinders.

Heirloom varieties come in all different shapes, sizes, and colors which adds texture to any type of food dish you use them in. They are great in salads and a food dish that calls for fresh tomatoes. So, first impressions aside, this bumpy tomato really is a beauty. It just goes to show you that you can’t judge a tomato by its skin.

1 comment:

deeeelish said...

yum!!! I love heirloom tomatoes!! They have so much flavor to them. I usually get mine from the farmers market and eat half of them on the way home.