Saturday, September 15, 2007

Honey-licious




There is more to honey than meets the eye. Yes, it is yellow, and it tastes great. And yes, it is healthy for you, but what’s in it that makes it healthy?

Honey is made up of sugars such as glucose and fructose and contains small amounts of magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium and many other minerals. It also contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, C, B5, and B6. Each drop of honey is just waiting to benefit your body.

Honey is also a great source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are molecules that provide defense against free radicals which create damaged cells in the body. By preventing the formation of free radicals, cancer, strokes, heart disease, and other diseases can be inhibited. The antioxidants in honey can also be used to preserve food and cosmetics. As you can see, antioxidants are very important in our world and in our bodies. In a study at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, scientists discovered that honey contains as many antioxidants as spinach, apples, oranges, or strawberries. In this same study, individuals were asked to eat 4 to10 tablespoons of honey a day for 1 month. Scientists ran blood tests and found that it contained much higher amounts of antioxidants than it previously had. Also, none of the tested individuals showed weight gain, and some stated that honey, when eaten for breakfast, made them feel full. It seems like such a great idea to eat honey for breakfast. All of those vitamins and minerals are available to your body at the start of the day!

Not only is honey beneficial to the inside of your body, but it also works wonders for the skin. Honey acts as an antifungal and antibacterial agent. I was completely amazed by this fact! I didn’t know that honey kills bacteria and helps heal wounds, scrapes, and burns. Facially, honey can be used in cleansing scrubs and masks where it moisturizes and firms the skin. When used on chapped lips and acne, the moisturizing and antibacterial qualities work together to heal the skin and protect it.

When you are sick, honey can be used to sooth the throat when it is sore. A tablespoon of honey mixed with warm water provides a warm solution that coats the throat and keeps it moist which allows the throat tissue to begin to heal. This remedy definitely works, and I can attest to that.

The benefits of honey are truly amazing! I knew it was good for you, but I thought it was just something that was probably a good idea. Now I know that I should eat a lot more of it if I want to keep my body going for years to come. The next time I eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich, I will look at it through different eyes.

1 comment:

Laster said...

This post made me VERY happy! I like peanut butter with honey instead of with jelly. Plus I would rather have honey on rolls or bread than butter. I always wonder if it's unhealthy for you and will cause you to gain weight since it tastes so sweet and good :) I am glad to know that it has a lot of benefits...vitamins, minerals, antioxidants...who knew? Now I will definitely not hesitate to satisfy my honey craving.