Thursday, September 27, 2007

It's My Time To Get Real With It!



Exercise is great isn’t it? But when do you find the time, and what time of day is your body up to a serious workout?

I really do enjoy exercising, and I always have great goals of getting in shape and toning up. Over this past summer (like every other past summer), I was really going to do it! No really! But once again, in the craziness of life, I just couldn’t find the time in my busy schedule to workout at all.

Getting back to school, I new that I would be running on my own schedule so I took up exercising again. Here’s where the tricky part comes in though. When should I workout? Nights are ok, but usually I like to be in the workout room by myself, and it’s always packed at night. Afternoon? Sure, if I actually had free time during the day. Like that would ever happen. Morning? Oh the dreaded time that no one wants to hear about. Seriously, I should be staring at my eye lids until I absolutely have to get up, right?

This year, I decided to try working out in the morning. Who needs sleep? I’m in college so no one even does that.

I actually did it one morning and got up early! I was so proud of myself. Now I love it! I discovered some things that motivate me, and I developed a well rounded workout just for me. I know that I need music to stimulate my brain, and I need to be looking at something to keep my focus. Turning the TV on and turning it all the way down allows me to look at something interesting all the time while the radio plays my favorite songs! It’s perfect. This way, I don’t think about how tired I am during my exercises.

As the music starts bumping, I carefully stretch and hop on the treadmill. First it was my goal to run a mile, and now I have worked my way up to a mile and a half. That’s definitely something that I am proud of! After I run, I begin lifting. Some of the exercises I normally do are lap pulls, chest press ( I don’t know for sure if that’s what it is called), and single weights. On each exercise, I complete 3 rounds of 12 reps, gradually increasing the weight to challenge my muscles. After the weights, I do sit ups and crunches. I’m no trainer, but to me, this definitely feels like a total body workout!

When I’m done with everything, I get in the shower and go on to the rest of my day. The best part is that I feel more awake and have more energy through the entire day. It’s great to feel so good and to feel like I actually accomplish something for myself each day! It is difficult to get up some days, but I know that it’s worth it.

I’m not saying the morning is the best time for everyone. You all have to find the best time for you and your body, but it definitely works for me! Try it. You might be glad you did!

No comments: