Sunday, September 30, 2007

Addiction to Exercise??

It may seem impossible that anyone who is defined as perfectly “normal” could ever be classified as an exercise addict. This peculiar concept may never have crossed the minds of beginning exercisers or dieters, but just may possibly exist.

Throughout high school, I was actively involved in sports, and never once thought about having to watch my weight or diet. But during my senior year, I decided to take a break from sports and focus on my studies. To my extreme dislike, I found myself slowly falling out of shape and gaining extra weight in places I never thought possible. It was after I couldn’t fit into my favorite pair of jeans about a year later that I knew I had to make a change. This was not the type of thing I wanted to see myself struggling with.

A few weeks later I began running on the treadmill after school each day, and started looking and feeling much more like my old self again after just 3 weeks. I had slowly eased into it, running 2 days a week, to now running about 5 days a week…and I think I have begun to get addicted.

Throughout those months of new found happiness, I found running to be my escape from stress and feeling of ease after a long day. To me running isn’t just a chore, but an indulgence into something that is completely and utterly beneficial. It helps me regain my old figure, and at the same time relieves certain anxieties I may be feeling throughout the week. When I don’t run, I feel lazy and unresponsive, and it’s almost harder to get through the day.

So instead of coffee, video games, or sleep, running is my addiction. Maybe it’s not yours, but if you're interested in becoming fit, my advice is to find some addiction, some other active addiction. Then use this addiction to alleviate your stress and you will find yourself wanting and needing to exercise. It may take a while to find that one addiction that suits your everyday needs, but once you find it, milk it for all its worth.

No comments: