Saturday, October 27, 2007

By myself

I thought that hiring a personal trainer would solve all of my weight loss problems. Put a Band-Aid on the fact that I love to eat and hate to exercise. Money solves everything right? Wrong. Just because I’m paying someone to teach me how to exercise doesn’t mean that I ultimately will. Over the past few weeks, the most important thing I have learned is that anything worth having is worth working for. Exercise, like almost everything else in life, requires 100% hard work 99% of the time (you’ve got to have fun once in a while, right?)

I’ve come to the realization that any change I want to make in myself has to come from within. I recently read about the power of setting goals. I read the story of a man who lost over 200 pounds and it all started with a new year’s resolution. He said suggested something that I feel is very important, writing down your goals. Simply wanting to do something is not enough. It’s a dream, a desire. Putting it on paper gives it power.

So, I’ve decided to reassess my plan. Because what I’m doing just isn’t working. I started by writing a letter to myself, a list of my goals and how I’m going to accomplish them. It’s something I can put away and get out whenever I’m feeling like I just can’t go anymore. In the end, I’ve learned that self motivation is the strongest weapon I have.

2 comments:

AgentScarn said...

I myself have been getting into bad habits with eating. On top of that, I haven't been giving a 100%, let alone 50% in my workouts. This post with inspiring and I think I will try to write down my goals as well.

rye_catcher_PU said...

I strongly agree with you on how motivation is key to this whole "getting healthy" process. I know in college that it is hard to motivate yourself to work out and continue healthy habits since stress is always around us. In September, I was working out 4-5 times a week. Then after fall break, I came back to college and completely lost motivation to workout. Before college, I remember I told myself that I was going to work out a lot in college because I never did in high school. I respect how you made a list a goals for yourself as a source of motivation. I hope you gain your motivation back,but if you ever run into trouble again, just remember that you are not alone. Thank you for writing this article.