Friday, October 19, 2007

What's Your Reason?


It seems like so many times during the day I’m eating. Of course I eat 3 full meals a day and then snacks, but I have to ask myself why I eat so much.

There are many factors that cause us to eat. Most of the time it’s hunger, emotion or mood, or feelings of needing to eat less. These moods can cause us to form habits that are unnecessary and harmful to our bodies such as emotional eating, mindless eating, snacking on high-calorie/low nutrition foods, skipping meals, and waiting too long between meals.

Some people skip meals, especially breakfast, thinking that they are eating less during the day and therefore are losing weight. In reality, by skipping a meal, your body metabolism slows, and you finally become so hungry by the next meal, you over eat. By the time the meal is finished, you have eaten enough for two people! Not so good for your body, and it completely defeats the purpose of skipping a meal in the first place. I have found this to be true about myself . Then, I become really frustrated.

Also, I know that I mindlessly eat which is very frustrating. If I’m bored, tired, or sad, I usually grab a snack and not a healthy one. A handful of M&M’s or a small bag of chips, and it goes right to my hips. Luckily, I recognize that this is a problem for me, and now I can control it or at least eat something healthy like grapes or an apple.

But sometimes, it’s hard to tell if you have developed a bad habit. Try to evaluate your eating habits and the way you feel when you eat. A good way to do this is by writing a food journal and recording everything you eat. Looking at everything that makes it to you mouth throughout the day really makes you think about how much goes in.

When I find myself eyeing another cookie, I think back to what I’ve already eating that day and figure out if I’m actually hungry or if the cookie just looks good. From there, I make my decision whether I really need it or not, and almost always, the answer is no. So check yourself, you may even decide to change your eating habits and be rewarded by shedding a few pounds!

1 comment:

Lucy in the Sky said...

I am with you when you say that you eat when there is no reason to. It seems that around 10:00 at night, when I'm watching one of my favorite shows, I have to have something to eat. I'm not hungry, I'm just bored sitting there. And it's never anything healthy. It's got to be a bag of chips or some Sour Patch Kids. I really wish I could stop doing this. I've even begun chewing gum after dinner to stop me from eating foods I don't need. That's quite sad if you ask me. Haha.