Saturday, October 27, 2007

Why Eat Pumpkins?

So not only does Halloween make me think of costumes and candy like my last post said, but it also makes me think of pumpkins. Jack O’ Lanterns and pumpkin pie. Sometimes when I’m carving out a pumpkin, it’s strange to think that the stuff that I’m carving into is what ends up in my pie. But it’s oh so good!

I know what you’re thinking, pie…high calorie, delicious but fattening, and a cause for extra workouts. However, this is not necessarily the case. Pumpkins are actually really good for you.
Here are some stats on what's in one cup of pumpkin puree:


Calories: 80
Carbohydrates: 19 gram
Cholesterol: 0
Fat: less than 1 gram
Potassium: 588 milligrams
Protein: 2.4 grams
Vitamin A: 310% of RDA
Vitamin C: 20% of RDA


Also, did you know that pumpkins are actually up to 90 % water and that they are full of fiber?
Pumpkin seeds are good for you too. They are packed full of minerals and may help protect against prostate cancer and osteoporosis. ¼ cup of seeds contains 1.5 grams of fiber and about 5 grams of carbohydrates.


Pumpkins are really easy to cook too and there are many recipes that contain pumpkin other than pumpkin pie. Check out some of these recipes and see which pumpkin dish you like best!

No comments: