Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Healthier Halloween

It’s so exciting to see the leaves change to brilliant colors, and finally the weather feels like fall. I can’t believe it, but in my home town, we are actually supposed to have a hard frost tonight! And with this time of year comes one of the most fun holidays, Halloween.

Last night, I was sitting with my family watching our traditional Halloween cartoon, “The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown”. If you have never seen it, I strongly encourage you too. It’s so cute and really gets me into the Halloween spirit. One of the best things is that this cartoon means that my family and I are going to actually take time out of our busy lives and eat popcorn and candy corns together. What could be better?

Watching this cartoon got me thinking about how unhealthy Halloween is for me though. Even though I’m too old for trick or treating, that definitely doesn’t keep me from eating candy. I love the mini candy bars, especially Snickers, or my personal Halloween favorite, Smarties. Of course, I can’t pass up all the ghoulish deserts and treats at the Halloween parties I attend. All this food talk is already making me feel like I should work out!

Luckily, we don’t have to compensate our over eating by working out more than normal if we use some common sense about eating. Here are a few tips.

To help your body balance all the sugar and fat intake from candy and desserts, eat lots of fruits and vegetable for breakfast and lunch.

If you’re at a Halloween party or you have that whole bag of mini candy bars sitting in front of you, eat in moderation. Even though it’s tempting, eat only one mini bar at a time and dry to limit yourself to, at most, 3 a day. If you are having a lot of trouble with temptation, make sure the candy is out of sight and try to keep yourself busy so you don’t have to dream about eating it. When you go to a party, don’t pile up your plate. Only get as much as you know you can eat without feeling too full.

Drink a lot of water to make up for the sugary drinks that are always at parties such as punch or pop. Drinking a lot of water will also help keep your body hydrated if you are doing a lot of dancing or running from scary people, depending on your situation.

So don’t let your workout keep you from releasing your wild side and dressing up like a crazy person. After all, Halloween is the only time of the year that you can dress up in anything you want and still be considered normal the next day.

Happy Halloween!

No comments: