Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Sweet & Salty Fall Favorites


Fall is finally here! No more of this heat wave. This morning I woke up, and I was actually cold. I walked outside in jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and flip-flops, yet the cool air was too much for my warm clothes. The air penetrated my clothes and hit me. It’s truly fall.

The wonderful harvest season with pumpkins, squash, Indian corn, colored leaves, and all the candy that comes along with it! I know, the bad word, “CANDY.” But candy corn is in the air; yes, that sweet honey flavor that everyone looks forward to, to signal that fall is here and Halloween is coming.

When I was younger, I was not a fan of candy corn. They are really sweet and too many just makes you sick, but they are simply irresistible! “Just a few,” you say to yourself, and then before you know it, that full candy dish is now half empty. All that sugar and fat goes right to your hips, and that sick feeling in your stomach rears its head. Too much sweet.

Luckily, my mom knew how to fix this problem, and she came up with my favorite fall mix. Candy corn and peanuts. It makes the perfect sweet, salty mix that isn’t over powering, and it keeps you from eating all of those empty calories.

You can make this mix your own by adding other salty favorites like pretzels, sesame sticks, sunflower seeds, pecans, chex mix, etc. So don’t be afraid to indulge a little, and mix it with some protein. Happy Harvest Time!

3 comments:

Lucy in the Sky said...

I basically agree with everything you said in your post. As a kid, candy corn was disgusting. I would watch my dad eat it and gag while doing so. Then, as I started getting older, I started to like the candy but would get sick if I ate too many. It's very hard to find a happy medium when discussing candy corn. I haven't tried peanuts with it but I'm sure it's wonderful. Sounds like a good combination.

voiceofreason said...

I loved candy corn when I was little. I don't think I ever ate enough of it to make me sick, but I know that I can't take too much of something that sweet without getting a little queezy. I'm not a big fan of mixing sweet and salty either, but that's just me.

curlyQ said...

So true. I was eating some last week and I was only going to have a handfull but that didn't happen. The only reason I stopped was because my stomach hurt! I love adding things (like peanuts) to it though, it makes it last longer!