Friday, October 26, 2007

Lowfat Nachos Óle!

The hardest part about losing weight for me is giving up all the good food. In my family, whenever we get together there’s always good food, and plenty of it. For many people, food and celebration go hand in hand. Think about it, when you get together with friends what do you do? Go out to dinner, go to the movies (where there’s inevitably popcorn swimming in butter and gallon-sized sodas), or even just order a pizza and talk. No matter what you do, food is usually involved. It’s a fact. Humans need food to survive. But how do you stay healthy without sacrificing the yum factor.

When my friends and I get together we love to go out for Mexican food. I love food from south of the border because it’s packed full of flavor, and unfortunately, calories. But I don’t want to give up a girl’s night tradition! So, I did a little digging. It turns out the internet is full of delicious recipes that turn comfort food into health food (or at least health-ier food). I found a great recipe for low calorie nacho cheese.

Ingredients


4 oz. light vanilla soymilk
3 oz. fat-free cheddar cheese
2 wedges The Laughing Cow cheese, Light Original Swiss
2 tbsp. fat-free cream cheese


Directions

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and heat stovetop at low-medium heat. Stirring frequently, heat until cheeses have melted and sauce is well mixed and hot.

Instead of going out to eat, melt your own cheese and have a fiesta at home. Pair it with some low fat tortilla chips and Óle! you’ve got yourself a party. So go ahead! Stuff yourself until you just can’t eat another bite. With only 50 calories and 1 g of fat per serving (approx. 2 tbsp). This is one gooey, tasty tradition I will definitely be starting with my friends.

No comments: