Wednesday, October 10, 2007


In honor of the beautiful fall weather, I’m looking into new ways to get a good workout outside. Have you ever played that game where someone says a word and you have to quickly say the first word that pops into to your head? If someone were to say camping, I’m sure that exercise probably would not be the first thing you thought of. Hopefully by the end of this post, however, it will be. Camping is a great fun form of exercise! Now, let’s be honest. You can’t sit around a campfire all weekend eating smores and expect to call it exercise. But if you go camping looking for an enjoyable way to get a good workout, it can be just that. Here is my list of great ways to turn camping into a fun fitness experience.

10. Camp the traditional way. Setting up your tent can be a great workout in itself.

9. Play Frisbee, tag, or basketball. Many campsites will have big open fields or basketball courts for fun and games.

8. Go rock climbing.

7. Take a hike. For a list of great hiking trails visit your local DNR webpage. Here’s a link to trails in Indiana.

6. Pack healthy snacks like granola bars and vitamin water.

5. Go canoeing. Paddle hard for a great cardio workout.

4. Climb a tree.

3. Gather firewood. See who can haul back the biggest log.

2. Go for a bike ride. Take it to the trails for more adventure.

1. Have fun!

In my ideal world, simply being outside and feeling the whip of the cool, crisp air against my cheeks would be enough to motivate me to throw on my running shoes and just go for it. Back in reality, however, I’m still that girl who hates to run and needs that extra push to get me exercising at all. Mixing it up and incorporating a little more adventure into my workout plan keeps it fun, and keeps me pushing on towards my goal.


No comments: