Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Relive your childhood


Yes, the fall weather is finally here to stay! I don’t know about you, but when that cool, crisp air starts to blow in and the leaves are burning beautiful shades of red and gold, I want to be outside as much as I can. That’s why this week will be dedicated to alternative forms of exercise. Activities that will get you off your couch, out of the boring gym, and into nature. For those who don’t want to stray too far from the comfort of traditional exercise, there’s always running outside. However, I’m feeling a little more adventurous.
When you were little, you never planned to exercise. You played outside and went crazy. You got messy and sweaty and nearly gave your mom a heart attack with the latest scrape, scratch, or bruise. But it was fun! Yesterday, I wanted to bring the fun back to exercising. So, I recruited my little brother to help me relive my childhood and we went rollerblading! Rollerblading is great exercise and it is so much fun. According a fitness study completed for Rollerblade inc. “During a 30 minute period: On the average, inline skating at a steady comfortable rate exceeds 285 calories and produces a heart rate of 148 beats per minute.” It’s serious cardio that really gets your heart pumping but manages to stay pretty low impact. In fact, I have a friend who has had several knee surgeries and actually says rollerblading is one of few exercises that feels good on her knees.
Being outside allows you to control the intensity. To kick it up a notch, try blading up hill. Even turning corners adds and extra element of balance you can’t get in the gym. Getting outside can have other benefits too. Sunlight to your eyes increases the levels of serotonin to your brain, the hormone that makes you happy. I could definitely use a dose of happy to get me through a tough workout. To check out more of the benefits of rollerblading discovered by Rollerblade inc. click on the link above.
Don’t forget rollerblading is not the only fun way to exercise. There’s lots of entertaining ways to burn calories. Just think back to your childhood and I’ll bet you get some good ideas. Get some friends together and play volleyball or basketball. Go outside and play with your dog; he could probably use the exercise too. Take your little cousin, niece or nephew to the park and go crazy! Swing, slide, play tag. Just have fun! As long as your heart rate is up and you’re having a good time, it’s a great workout. Check out my next post for tips on how to turn camping into your favorite way to exercise.

No comments: