Friday, November 9, 2007

Don't Worry, Be Happy

As a health blog, we focus so much on the physical aspect of a healthy life. As important as it is to keep your body healthy, I believe it is just as important to focus on mental health. After experiencing a traumatic event this weekend myself, I realized that the physical bruises were not the only pain I felt after the accident. If you have read my most recent post, you know that I was recently involved in a car accident that could have cost me my life. Forgetting and moving on from a traumatic event is not an easy thing to do. I’m haunted daily by vivid memories of the crash and plagued by the guilt that it was all my fault. Luckily, I was the only one in my car and no one else was involved in the crash. However, if you’ve ever been involved in a traumatic event, you know that logical advice such as “It’s all over now” or “It could have been a lot worse” do not make the memories go away or overcoming the event any easier. Wednesday night I reached a breaking point and went home to see a counselor. She told me that I may be suffering from a mild case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, a natural reaction to any traumatic event. She suggested that I get back to my normal life and to try driving again, something I did not want to do. As scared as I was, facing my fear of driving made a big difference my being able to move on with my life.

PTSD is just one of many mental disorders that affect thousands of Americans. If you feel you may be suffering from a mental disorder, it’s important to get help. Visiting a counselor is a good place to start. In many situations, simply talking to someone can make enough of a difference. Remember that you do not have to suffer silently. For more information the website of the National Institute of Mental Health is a wonderful resource.

No comments: