Saturday, November 3, 2007

So Important

On this site, we talk a lot about ways to create a better healthier life for yourself. Today, however, I’m going to talk about something that can potentially save your life and the lives of those you love. I’m sure you’ve seen the ads preaching of the importance of wearing your seat belt. “Buckle up, it’s the law.” Or “Click it or ticket.” You pick the jazzy slogan. But wearing your seat belt is about a lot more than avoiding a run in with the law. This weekend I was in a bad accident that more than likely would have killed me had I not been wearing my seatbelt. I lost control of my car and rolled it four times. Because I was wearing my seatbelt I walked out of my wreck with nothing more than a sprained neck and a few bumps and bruises. Now, I know that God had some angels looking after me yesterday. But if I had not been strapped into my car there is no doubt in my mind that I would have been immediately ejected from the car, with consequences I don’t even want to consider. You may think it will never happen to you; I certainly didn’t. But it did, and I’ve been thanking God ever since that my mom and dad taught me the importance of buckling up every single time you get in a car.

At first, the image of the crash kept replaying over and over in my head and I just wished that I could forget. But now, I’m glad that I remember. I can tell you, and one day my kids, the importance of always wearing your seat belt. If just one person reads this and starts wearing their seat belt, I will be happy. Trust me, life starts to mean a whole lot more when you see it all flash before your eyes.

So here’s my advice, take time to appreciate the ones you love, don’t sweat the small stuff, and always, always buckle up.

2 comments:

Lindsey Deno said...

I am so glad that you are alright and that you wrote this article. Buckling up is just a habit to me but I know a lot of people who don't wear their seatbelts even though it is the law. I have lost close people to me because of them not wearing a seatbelt.

I was in a car accident two years ago and it is something you don't forget. Although I wasn't the driver, it was so hard for me to get into a car again, and especially to ride with other people. I was also very thankful to be alive and walk away from the accident with a few scrapes. God definitely was watching over me that day,too. So continue to be thankful and buckle up!!

Curiosity said...

Wow. I don't think people who haven't been in accidents can really understand the importance of seatbelts. My mother and I were sideswiped once in a roundabout back home. It was possibly the scariest thing that I had ever gone through. I swear the man looked me in the eyes right before accelerating into our car. But my mother and I were safe because we were all buckled up. We also avoided tickets when the police came. Thanks for writing this post and I'm really glad that you are ok.

And for a funny note; the city where I'm from is the home of the Kansas School for the Deaf. If you go out to Olathe, KS and look drive out of the parking lot outside the main elementary school building, there is a sign that says "Listen to your seatbelt click." It's almost mean that it's there because most of the people leaving that parking lot can't hear.