Saturday, November 24, 2007

I'm Learning

Looking back at the last 10 weeks of my life and my search for the true meaning of health, I’ve realized that success is relative and progress is everything. I’ve only lost 4 pounds so far. However, the knowledge and the sense of self-worth I’ve gained in the process is irreplaceable. I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished. I’ve always felt, to be successful in anything, the first step is to become as educated as possible. Since I started this self challenge, I’ve learned so much about health and fitness, the way we view the world, and most of all myself.

My first piece of advice is read anything and be objective about everything. The world is full of doctors speculating about the true secret to weight loss. One thing everyone can agree on, however, is that every person is different. What works for me may not work for you. So, experiment until you find the diet and exercise routine that is right for you. But whatever you do, they must come hand in hand.

Here, lies my second piece of advice maintain a healthy diet while also exercising. If you only diet, or only exercise, the progress is slow and can easily become frustrating. Maintaining healthy eating habits provides you with more energy to exercise and better fuels your body for the rest of the day. Conversely, exercising gives you motivation to maintain those healthy eating habits. Who wants to eat a greasy cheeseburger after sweating it out in the gym? That’s a big waste of a lot of time and energy.

My most important piece of advice, however, is to love yourself enough never to give up. I had to learn to accept the body I had, before I could work to change it. I realized that, a change fueled by self-hatred will never be successful. 4 pounds in 10 weeks may not sound like a lot to you, but it’s a step in the right direction and a start that I’m very proud of.

1 comment:

Lindsey Deno said...

Aww I am so proud of you! I think that you give great advice and although it should be taken for granted that we all love ourselves, we all know that this is not true. Good job in your accomplishments and keep it up!