Saturday, November 24, 2007

Holiday Over-Eating

Thanksgiving = eating. Yeah, I already knew that, but this year, I’m pretty sure I out-did myself. For the first time in the history of my family, we had Thanksgiving at my house with just my immediate family and my grandma instead of my whole family at my grandparents house. I have to say, I don’t think I’ve had that much good food in one place EVER! It was amazing, and I definitely had my fill of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, corn, and rolls. Oh and the most important part, the pecan pie.

My mom is an amazing cook, and although I’m not far behind her, she still smokes me! There are those that can cook out of cook books and those that can cook by family recipes with some talent, and then there are those who I like to qualify as “dump cooks.” These are the cooks that have a general idea of what they desire to create and the head knowledge to make it fabulous by simply dumping in the ingredients. Unbelievable I know, but that’s what my mom is, and she is fantastic at it.

So now you understand my dilemma. When I come home, I don’t just sit down to Thanksgiving dinner. I sit down to a Thanksgiving feast. This makes it extremely difficult to keep the pounds off. I know that some of you can relate. There’s nothing’ like what momma makes, right?
I’ll admit, I didn’t hold back either. I kept telling myself I was going to finish the last tiny sliver of apple pie, mind you, I was taste testing pecan, pumpkin, and apple pie. I literally had to sleep off my meal because I was stuffed to the brim. Bad idea I know, but it was definitely worth it.

Unfortunately, the eating doesn’t stop there. Tomorrow is my cousin’s fiancé’s bridal shower….more cookies, cake, and the good stuff, white chocolate covered pretzels. So how do I plan on keeping my weight down? That’s the tough question, but I think I have the solution and some helpful tips.

-Next week, I will continue to run with my friend Mandi. We are up to three miles, by the way, and it gets easier every week! (It might be a little tougher this week with those extra pounds on though.)

-I will also eat more fruits and vegetables and less carbs such as bread, pasta, and potatoes.

-I will drink water or a fruit drink in place of my usual afternoon snack.

With these three tips, I’ll be on my way to the road to recovery. Just in time for Christmas, but we’ll see how that goes. Yay for self-control! Good luck to you this Christmas season, and if you have any tips on how to keep the pounds off, please share and let’s help each other and spread some Christmas cheer!

No comments: