Friday, November 2, 2007

Freshman Pounds

I can’t wait to see it.

As a college freshmen, I am anxious for next summer. Next summer, all my friends who went to various different colleges will come home, and we’ll be together again…and I can see who got fat and gained more than their freshman fifteen!

Health and fitness is all about habit; good habits make healthy people, bad habits make not-so-healthy people. When making a healthy change like a diet, you have a better chance of sticking to it if you make those healthy foods a habit, right? Well, I have a theory about habit and this freshman fifteen thing. I think that those people who were active in high school, like the athletes or those who worked out all the time, will gain less of the freshman poundage. Think about it…those who were active in high school habitually set aside time to be active. Their bodies were used to being in motion all the time. They weren’t used to being lazy all the time. I believe this body memory won’t let these ex-athletes sit around all the time and do nothing. I believe that this group of people will be more driven to keep some sort of fitness routine. I believe that their former habits will come back to haunt them.

I’m not saying that these people won’t gain any weight; there’s no way they’re going to come back nice and svelte like they were back in full training. But I think as an average, they’re going to gain less weight than those who weren’t active in high school.

No comments: