Saturday, November 10, 2007

Pineapple: Grow Your Own!

Did you know YOU can grow a pineapple? That’s right. Anyone can grow one with a little patience and some love. The easiest way to grow a pineapple is to first buy one. Cut the crown or the leafy top part off the pineapple. Pull a few of the basal leaves off and turn the crown upside down to let it dry for about a week. Then plant it in an 8 inch pot and try not to get dirt in the leaves. It is best to use a light soil blend with 30% organic matter. Water the pineapple weekly and fertilize every few weeks.


During the summer, the plant can be placed outside, but during the winter, keep the pineapple warm too. It should never be exposed to temperatures below 28 degrees. Since I live in northern Indiana, I’m definitely going to take my plant inside for the winter. Luckily it makes a beautiful looking house plant. Also, it gives a tropical feel so when it’s snowing outside, I can look at me plant and think of all the places I would rather be.


It takes about two years to develop a beautiful fruit. I know, it seems like a really long time, but the benefits will be fantastic. There’s so much satisfaction in eating something you grow yourself. How much better is it going to be to take a bite of this sweet burst of flavor? So try it out and let me know what you think about pineapple. Happy growing!

No comments: